- What is a cookie?
A cookie, also known as a http cookie, a web cookie or a browser cookie, is usually a small text file sent from a website and stored in the user’s web browser while a user is browsing on a website. When the user in the future surfs on the same website, the data stored in that cookie can be retrieved by the website in order to notify the website of the last activity of that user. Cookies were designed as a reliable mechanism for websites to remember the status of the website or the previous user activity of a certain user. They help us to optimize your visit to the Website, to remember technical choices (e.g. choice of language, newsletter, etc.) and to offer more relevant services and offers. If you wish to consult the Website resp. use it, GeoDynamics encourages you to enable cookies. However, if you choose to not do this, you are always free to disable the cookies.
Cookies may include: clicking on certain buttons, logging-in or a record of the pages which were visited by the user, even months or years ago. Although cookies cannot contain viruses and cannot install malware on the host computer, tracking cookies, and especially third-party tracking cookies are often used as ways to establish long-term data from the browser history of individuals together.
- Types of cookies
- First-party cookies: cookies placed by a website currently being visited by the user (e.g. cookies placed by GeoDynamics / minisites of GeoDynamics).
- Third-party cookies: cookies placed by a domain name other than the one of the website visited by the user. If a user visits a website and a third party places a cookie through that website, then this is to be considered a third party cookie (e.g. cookies placed by Google, Twitter and Facebook).
- Functional cookies: cookies that ensure that a website functions properly (e.g. cookies for help desk cases or registration, language preferences, etc.).
- Non-functional cookies: cookies that can be placed for statistical, social, targeting and commercial purposes. They have nothing to do with the purely technical support of a website. Cookies with statistical purposes allow you to identify which pages of the website you visit, where your computer is located, etc. Cookies with social purposes enable the user to directly share the content of the website visited with others via social media. Cookies with targeting purposes allow a profile to be created based on your surfing behavior so that the displayed advertisements are tailored to your interests. Cookies with commercial purposes keep track of how many and which advertisements were shown to a user. Non-functional cookies can be first-party or third-party cookies.
- Permanent cookies:These cookies remain on the user’s device for the duration specified in the cookie. They are activated every time the user visits the website that has placed this cookie (e.g. cookies placed by social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Google Analytics etc.). Most non-functional cookies are permanent cookies.
- Session cookies: These cookies allow a user’s actions to be simplified and linked to each other during a browser session. A browser session starts when a user opens the browser screen and ends when the user closes the browser screen. Session cookies are placed temporarily. As soon as you close the browser, all session cookies are deleted. Most functional cookies are session cookies.
- List of cookies used by the Website
The table below contains a summary of the cookies that GeoDynamics, where appropriate, collects and which information they store.
|COOKIE name||COOKIE description||COOKIE retention period|
|_gid||This third party cookie is used by Google Universal Analytics to keep track of the number of page visits.||24 hours|
|_ga||This third-party cookie is used by Google Universal Analytics to form a general view of the number of page views, unique visitors, sessions and campaign data. A randomly generated ID is used.||2 years|
|SnapABugHistory||Cookie for chat function history – snapengage.||1 year|
|SnapABugVisit||Chat function||During the session|
|Lang ||Language setting||During the session|
|SnapABugRef||Chat function||During the session|
|_gat||This cookie does not store any user information, it allows the Website to limit the number of requests on doubleclick.net||During the session|
- Disabling cookies
There are a few possibilities to avoid the storage of cookies. Please visit the websites of the different browsers to learn how you can block the storage of cookies.
Please realize that when you decide to delete all your cookies, you probably will have to fill in all your usernames and passwords again on the websites you visit, where before you did not have to think about them. As already mentioned, cookies really can have an added value to your surfing experience on the web.
If you want to know more about cookies, please visit the site www.allaboutcookies.org. This site provides more information on cookies, explains in detail how to delete the cookies and shows you how you can allow familiar sites to storage cookies on your computer.
- Contact GeoDynamics
- Via the postal service: GeoDynamics NV, Dumoulinlaan 9, 8500 Kortrijk, Belgium